For Earth Day, we are highlighting the theme of this year’s Enology & Viticulture Conference, Sustainable Winegrowing. Held in Penticton July 15-16, the conference chair is our winemaker Mary McDermott who is also on the board of directors for the BC Wine Grape Council.
The agenda for the 19th annual conference is still being finalized, so far there is an excellent lineup of speakers, a sampling includes:
- Dr. Greg Jones, Director of the Evenstad Center for Wine Education, who is a professor and research climatologist in the Department of Environmental Studies at Linfield College in McMinnville, Oregon.
- Kerry Wilkinson, Professor of Oenology at the University of Adelaide
- Dr. Mike Veseth professor emeritus of International Political Economy at the University of Puget Sound and editor of The Wine Economist blog
- Dr. Walter Mahaffee, a research plant pathologist with USDA-Agriculture Research Service and a Courtesy Faculty with the Department of Botany and Plant Pathology at Oregon State University
- Florence Gas, with the Institut Cooperatif du Vin (ICV) in Montpellier, which helps Wine Growers in Sustainable Development
- Dr. Lucas Patzek, Executive Director of the Napa County Resource Conservation District
The Enology & Viticulture Conference & Tradeshow is a premier wine industry event which brings hundreds of wine and grape industry professionals together to discover new products and services, to learn about the latest technologies and research, as well as to network. More details are on the conference website.